Saturday 27 September 2014

43. Oh boy just when you think......!!!

Even though we have had a good time this year it has not been without it's problems, for some reason we keep shredding gearboxes this is not a good thing as the do tend to be a bit on the expensive side.


So after the last gearbox problem  we decided to try and see if we could beef it up a bit so bearing this in mind the gearbox was taken to the legend that is AL O'Conner to asses the damage for us and if possible fix it..

The famous Al's Gasser peaking out from the garage

A couple of days later I get a call from Al to tell me the bad news which is? he found some bearing material in the sump and the planetary gears are breaking up, so it looks like this box is toast, the only problem is this particular powerglide transmission has the rather rare short tail piece as opposed tot he regular one or the "Shorty" and it looks like it is as rare as hens teeth,...oh!

We do have some options we can try and move the engine forward by a couple of inches and see if we can fit a standard powerglide in, we can scour the internet till we find another rebuilt glide with a short tail piece or just give up!

Well giving up is not an option I haven't finished with this little car yet, one way or another we will be back racing next year even if I have to have a new chassis made.

Now of course if I had the money I know what I would have built and I wouldn't be one those new rear engine clone cars that all look the same and sound the same and run the same numbers it would be something like this......



I realy wish I had the money to build a modern day replica of this car..Dennis Priddles's Mister Revel oh well we can dream..can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment