Tuesday 4 November 2014

46. The hard work starts..

I used to read reports from other racers that said the "off season" went too fast I now know what they mean it only seems like yesterday when we blew the gearbox up at the Hot Rod Drags and here we are in November and I am looking at the first RWYB's on the new race calender from the Pod for January????

So what are we up to then??well first off last Sunday I met up with Mark Coulsell who was letting me have his old Rocker boxes as we managed to crack one of ours...right next to where the bolt goes so don't think it can be welded.


The trip back wasn't so nice as we had the biggest downpour I have seen in ages..I hate this time of year.....


This was the view over the Thames on the Dartford crossing..miserable.........

In a few days time my crew chief and number 1 son Steve, is going to be taking the engine out of the race car after trial fitting the new gearbox, the engine will then be taken to Swindon where it will be stripped and inspected and repaired /  new parts fitted where needed and if the budget allows a stroker kit, I was going to have the hand brake removed and foot-brake fitted but I have been advised that maybe a left foot brake is not the wisest thing to fit to a dragster so maybe we will just upgrade what we have instead.

The master cylinder has been leaking for some time now and it looks like the lid does not seal but the brake fluid has taken a lot of paint off the chassis so that will be sorted as well, I am going to have a look at uprating the wheelie bar brackets...hmmm just in case.....

Talking of bodywork I found this piccie of the car in it's previous guise I would love to know where the front bodywork went???


The new gearbox comes with a trans brake so we are looking at how to set up the "two step" on the system so we can really improve our 60ft times..we are hoping to get it all back together and running for mid to end of February so we can go testing in March and get the car tagged ready for competition.......which means I have to get a licence so get fit time..well nothing much else to do in Winter is there..got to lose a few stone I reckon and that will make getting in and out of the car a bit easier might even make it go faster...?? talking of which if we just upgrade the engine we have without making any further modifications we want to run in the 8.7 sec range at least, if we go this route then I will be looking at putting together another block over the coming year with all the mods on i.e. ally heads, Scat crank etc ready for the 2016 season...and if I happen to find a supercharger sitting around doing nothing then you never know...??? now will my engine as it stands run with a drop of  Nitro in the tank???? Super_pro anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment