Wednesday 12 April 2017

98. If you can't race then...watch!

It was our aim to test at Shaky last weekend 8th - 9th but Steve..number one son and crew chief couldn't get the Saturday off. In fact now that he is running the workshop..he is now the manager, it is likely he wont be getting to as many meetings as he once did, so plan B was we would go and set up camp on Saturday and just wait for Steve on Sunday but!!!! I wasn't sure if the bits I had ordered would get here in time and Steve needed some time at home so I called it off, not something I like to do but family must come first. So we went on Saturday to watch instead. I met Dave there as we both had to come from different destinations.

It was really good to get back to the track it seems like last year when we last went??? Apart from the usual carts and cars there were a couple of Wild Bunch cars testing.






There was Ratchet Strap with a new motor, which I believe came out of the teams hot rod, the Browns were testing with their updated engine, Chris and Tania with Victim god that machine puts out some horse power and does the most amazing burnouts but maybe a bit too much for the track at least this weekend. It was really good to see Mark and the team back out with Ball Breaker. sporting a new front end and a few upgrades on the engine. Things didn't go according to plan on Saturday but on Sunday Mark piloted the car to a very squirely 8.6 second pass, with lots more to come I would imagine.

With so many cars now in the 8 second zone or potentially 8 second cars then this season should see some good races I hope. he cars I am thinking of are of course Ball Breaker, Azbo, Mike Gleadows new machine is set to run 8's we know that both Daryl and Steve Fields cars can run 8's Gonzo is running low 8's and if we get back to where we were last year so will our car and of course we hope tp see Sag back out in Daddy Cool running 8's, and I think there are a couple of cars in build that will also be capable of running 8's this season could be very interesting indeed. I can#t wait.

Back to our car first thing Monday there was a knock at the door and...yep the parts I was waiting for arrived many thanks to Dave at Performance Unlimited...


Now everyone has to have goals and I have never mad any attempt to hide the fact that I want to run a 7 second pass, can the car do it, yes I think it can, and I know I'm now not the only one trying to reach that magic number, We never had the heads fully flowed and ported I always wanted something left in the tank so to speak, something we could turn to to improve times if we needed to and we have a relatively short duration cam which if needed we could also change for a longer duration cam and get more torque so we have that in the bag as well.

In a few weeks we will know if we have made the right changes or not, we can always go back to our original axle ratio, we kept the old gears, If we do improve our times then Happy Days we then aim for the 7's. My first target is to get my licence signed off then to run an 8 at shaky we have never done this, always had direction problems there, yet some teams don't have a problem I think we need to start asking some questions regarding tyre pressures etc. Maybe it's the driver.....NOT LOL.

Whatever happens its going to be a cracking year...bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment