Thursday 21 August 2014

35. Bigger pipes

Since I bought the car there is one thing that has bothered me...no not bothered, annoyed me and that is the injector ram pipes or lack of them to be honest, the ones on my car are very small and I believe the previous owner cut them down and it really spoils the look of the car, well I think it does...


Anyway not being too sure what is supposed to be what? I left well alone, but! a couple of times I have been told they are not the right length so I made the decision to find out for myself so I got on the net and sent a mail and a photo off to Hilborn in America..

I got a reply  rather quickly explaining that the length of my ram pipes are fine if the engine is revving between 9000 and 9500 if it is lower than this I really need a set of 8 inch ram pipes which will increase the bottom end and mid range torque....which would be brilliant, our engine only revs to around 7000 to 7500 so time to look for some  bigger ram pipes.

It was around this time that I found a picture of the car before the previous owner got it..and guess what??? it use to have much larger ram pipes....


So after scouring e-bay I found a place in America that still supplies the correct size pipes www.alkydigger.com  and after a mail or two about diameters I found the ones that I need.


These are no winging themselves from the Sates and I have my fingers crossed that will turn up before the 14th Sept when we are testing again at the Pod, I am hoping they will make the difference between a 9 second run and an 8 second run,,,,we will soon see.

The next problem is I promised myself that I would let both Steve (son and crew chief ) and Dave (brother and crew) a go in the car at the end of the season, now I know how not so easy it is to keep in a straight line I am having doubts LOL that is such a good idea, the other problem is the required safety equipment I know that my fire suit and gear will fit Steve but Dave is considerably smaller than both of us,, oh well we will have to try and see what happens, I will probably find it more difficult and nerve racking watching my car than actually driving it..October will come round far too quick...........and they had better not go quicker than me or they will never get in the car again LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment