Tuesday 25 August 2015

71. The race is on....again..again..!!!

Phew what a busy few weeks, I have never made so many phone calls in my life, it got to the point where I wasn't sure who I was asking what for anymore!!! I had to write everything down and kee a check on who I was talking to and why.

I will also admit I have spoken to some really helpful friendly people over the last week or two and without whose help we may have ended up right in the soft brown smelly stuff. It also never ceases to amaze me that anything or anyone that has anything to do with drag racing in whatever form move just as quick as the cars.

So where are we at the moment then, well Slimline Racing had?? stated that we were out for the rest of the season after assessing the engine damage as it would take some time to round up all the bits and pieces required and to get the crew together to do the job, as well as pleading with my wife Lorni, to let me spend some more money on the car and promising on my life that I will get the shower fixed and the hole in the bathroom ceiling!!!

First things first was to source a set of rings and the head gaskets so that if all else fails we can button the engine up for the winter so we got hold of the original engine builders and low and behold a phone call on last Monday will see the items in Steve's hands by Friday...this what I meant about things move fast in the drag racing world...

Click on image for link

To help with this I have had to find and buy a piston ring grinder a cam timing wheel and a DTI gauge.

Some of the parts arrived today

Anyway second call was to Alky digger in the States, we have discussed the need for a new injection set up for sometime so now looked like the perfect opportunity to sort out it all out, so I spent some time talking with Mike at Alky Digger and we have now bought the perfect system for our engine..


With a bit of luck this gear wont take too long to get here, I did point out to Mike the difference between the air here in the UK and what they are used to in the States so fingers crossed the injection system will be set-up ready to run when it gets here I have asked for them to stick the lot on their flow bench before they send it which I hope will help us tune the system quick.

Click on image for link

Next we needed a new starter motor and flex plate along with a dizzie cap and rotor arm and probably trigger unit so a call to Dave at  performance Unlimited sourced all those bits....

Click on image for link

..after a bit of a chat with Dave I decided not to get a new cap and rotor arm for the Mallory dizzue and instead I have bought a new MSD dizzie and a set of HT leads, I confirmed the order and paid for it yesterday and the items arrived today..now that's what I call service.

The other problem we have had is with the Torque converter it was ok for the last engine but not for this one so...on the advice of our friend Sam Freeman I gave BTE a call last night..this time difference crap can really be a pain LOL

Click on image for link

I spent a few minutes giving Bryan all the information that I could and within a minute he had the solution for us, there is no substitute for experience, so we now have a new converter on the way from the States.

So! if all the bits turn up in time and Steve can get the time off and put this big jigsaw back together again in the next couple of weeks, remember he has to fit the new sealed for life rings which can take some doing, then we might and I do say might make it to the Hot Rod Drags after all with the car, and as per the season up to now we will only be testing, and if we don't get it done in time then we will be there but only as spectators, what ever happens we are hoping to get the car up the track at least once before we lay everything up till next season.

Dam I have just remembered something..where do I get a sump heater from??????

No comments:

Post a Comment